Article: 'Rethinking the modern house museum'

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: 'Rethinking the modern house museum'

Post by DavidC »

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

It's a thought-provoking article, but the sub-headline doesn't get addressed until the very end: today's visitors want to snap at least a quick photo. I applaud the house museums that have recently started allowing photos, a list that now includes the Home & Studio, Taliesin, and Westcott. On the other hand, I ruled out a trip to Polymath Park because they don't even allow exterior photography (unless you buy their meal package).

SDR

Post by SDR »

Seems a short-sighted policy ? I wonder what the objection to amateur photography would be based on . . .

SDR

Matt

Post by Matt »

Most museums gave up on prohibiting people from taking photos. In fact, the social media aspect of posting photos helps spread the word about the museum. House museums should use the same approach.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

When I led tours through Hollyhock, there were some restrictions, but not too many. Though no one going through the house could imagine it as a private place with the owners out and about doing errands. Now you have to wear booties, stay off the carpets, stay out of the rooms on display, just peering around the corner, and you can no longer go upstairs, because there are people who cannot negotiate stairs, and if everyone cannot enter the space, no one can. You couldn't pay me enough to give tours through that house again.

The problem with house museums is why I would urge home owners to try their best to keep their home private. With some - Hollyhock, Dana, DD Martin, Fallingwater - it is no longer possible to remain private, but many others certainly could.