George Blossom House Kenwood, Chicago 1892

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Leave them on the street as advertising, and open a retro café/spa with hot and cold plunges in the grease pits . . . I guess.

SDR

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Roderick Grant wrote:But what would one do with a pair of 1960 Pontiac Catalinas?
Install heavy duty sump pumps in the pits to keep them from filling up with oil.

Oak Park Jogger

Post by Oak Park Jogger »

About 45 years ago I lived just east of the Blossom House, and walked past it every day on my way to work. The garage apartment was occupied by students, and was a source of great curiosity. I really envied anyone who could live in that fascinating space, and wished it was me!

A few years ago the Blossom and MacArthur were opened to a Conservancy tour, that I attended. The Blossom garage was, to say the least, rather primitive, with an awkward layout that included a tiny, narrow bathroom with the toilet not just down the hall, but down a flight of stairs. It gave new meaning to the phrase "Hyde Park Dump" that was the way many apartments in the neighborhood were described by insolvent graduate students who had, nevertheless, to live in Hyde Park. But, if it got an interior renovation that made it a place one could actually live with modern conveniences--you know, a bathroom with all the accoutrements in one place, a kitchen that didn't make you fear botulism, etc., it'd still be tempting to me now!!!

A real highpoint of that tour was sitting in the living room of Blossom with John Thorpe as he rattled off story after story of Wright related renovations. Too bad no one thought to record him. . . . .

SDR

Post by SDR »

DRN

Post by DRN »

I think the Blossom garage, if sensitively renovated inside and restored on its exterior, would be a slick Tiny house, Granny flat, or Boomerang suite.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I remodeled Blossom Garage years ago ... in my head. It would be a difficult job, but even leaving a single-car garage, it could be done well.

I also remodeled the neighboring McArthur garage/servants' quarters into a residence. That was easier, since, at 26'1"x49'6", it is much more capacious.

outside in

Post by outside in »

time to get out the sketch pads! Note:the bathroom is actually accessed from the main room, not the kitchen.

cravestrum

Post by cravestrum »

I'm afraid my involvement ended when they got the bids from the contractor. I really have no idea what happened on the inside of the house. They used our drawings for the building permit, but beyond that we were not involved.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I don't have it immediately to hand but in his book 'Wrightscapes' Aguar gives
a very appealing analysis of this house and the one across the street.
At first glance most of what one sees in Palladio, but reading Aguar it's almost
as if Palladio disappears.
I remember finding it instructive.