Darwin Martin House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Unbrook

Darwin Martin House

Post by Unbrook »

Does anyone know of a study or report which has looked at the effect of the restoration of the Darwin Martin house on the local Buffalo economy?

JimM

Post by JimM »

The Martin House Restoration Corporation should have info on any specific studies:

http://www.martinhouse.org

Found following in an article from this link:

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/06/b ... -fireplace

"Funding for the Martin House restoration project has come from a unique partnership of public and private resources: federal, state and local governments, various foundations, corporations, and numerous private donors at all levels. With its national and international appeal, the Martin House is widely recognized as a pivotal component of the Western New York economic development initiative that is focused on tourism investments. The site already attracts in excess of 30,000 visitors annually, with 75 percent of guests coming from outside Western New York, including a significant international component. Economic analysts have projected that the restored site will generate nearly $20 million of annual economic impact for the region and the state."

SpringGreen

Martin House

Post by SpringGreen »

A number of years ago I talked to several historic sites (Wright sites & others) while investigating the importance of doing an HSR. Here's part of my concluding e-mail about the Martin House (this was 2005 I think):
their HSR was inexpensive ($25,000). However, this was completed c. 1995, only included the historical section, and did not anticipate some of the later issues that came up. For example, just the cost of the schematic drawings for the Martin House was over $250,000. This cost did not include the construction drawings.

The Martin house restoration has greatly expanded over the years, to include the reconstruction of more buildings, the restoration of another Wright house adjacent to it (the Barton house), and the building campaign for a brand-new visitor center. The original estimate, about 7 years ago, of $23 million, is now up to about $31.5 million, and will probably rise. This is an increase of $10.5 million, or about 45%.

However, this story continues to have a happy ending. The project has been able to expand because of a very active and enthusiastic board of directors. The board contains community and civic leaders from the city of Buffalo (a “Who’s who,� in the words of Executive Director Mary Roberts). I asked Mary if they’d ever had a problem when expanding the project, given that these are business people. She replied no. I think in this case, the board began with a few leaders, got others on “board� and restoring the Martin House complex has become a component in improving the civic life and nationwide standing of this city that still faces extensive problems.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

From what I remember the amount spent is now in the neighborhood of $50 million.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://fortune.com/2018/08/15/golden-ga ... tion-cost/

An anti-suicide net for the Golden Gate Bridge, once to cost $76 million, is now slated to come in at $211 million. I'd say that Buffalo did very well for themselves, to restore so magnificently the Martin House complex for c. $50 million . . .

SDR

Craig

Post by Craig »

As a former Buffalonian I can say it is worth every penny spent. Buffalo once viewed itself as a sad, tired city with a bunch of worthless old buildings, unlike such dazzling modern metropolises such as Dallas or Toronto. It's been slow, but Buffalo has awakened to find itself to be a completely livable city with some first rate architectural treasures. The metamorphosis of the Darwin house is the perfect embodiment of this new attitude. It is radiating outward throughout the entire city.
ch

Unbrook

Buffalo

Post by Unbrook »

That is what I want to hear!

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

At least two historic hotels in downtown Buffalo have been tastefully restored to their former glory (Hotel at the Lafayette & Curtiss Hotel), and one of the H H Richardson buildings has been converted to a boutique hotel (Hotel Henry). One of the Larkin Soap (https://larkindg.com) buildings has been converted into offices. The Pierce Arrow Museum (www.pierce-arrow.com) has been expanded with the addition of the gas station designed for Buffalo. I even heard talk that someone was even considering rebuilding the Larkin Administrative Building (now that would be a great idea!).
Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Unbrook

Darwin Martin House

Post by Unbrook »

I was wondering if anyone had heard a dollar amount I could use. I know when I went to tour the Darwin Martin House, I stayed at a BnB just down the street.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Paul Ringstrom

Re: Darwin Martin House

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Unbrook wrote:I was wondering if anyone had heard a dollar amount I could use.
A dollar amount for what exactly?

Unbrook

Darwin Martin House

Post by Unbrook »

I am looking for a dollar figure for the effect the Darwin Martin house restoration has had on the local economy.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Buffalo Chamber of Commerce would be the obvious source.

HenryWhiting

Post by HenryWhiting »

Wouldn't it be great if the Conservancy celebrated the completion of the landscape project, and the house restoration, by hosting the Annual Conference in Buffalo?