Woodbury County Courthouse photos

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Woodbury County Courthouse photos

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Too bad this magnificent building is in one of those out-of-the-way places that make it hard to include on FLWBC tours. It and the nearby Nebraska State Capitol Building in Lincoln are two of the finest government buildings in the country.

An episode of "48 Hours" a few years ago aired a trial held in the building. It photographs very well.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

The architect, William Steele, was an associate of Louis Sullivan.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Paul, Steele was associated with the design, because he was local, but the principal firm was Purcell & Elmslie.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thirty-one pages in Brooks, "Prairie School Architecture, studies from the Western Architect (1975, 1983) are devoted to the building. I will display the first and last pages of the uncredited opening essay, today.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

For a look at another building by William L. Steele, check out the Charles Mix County Court House at 400 East Main St., Lake Andes, SD (1918), photos in The Prairie School Traveler. Clearly G. G. Elmslie had a more profound effect on Steele than Sullivan.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here are the pages I mentioned above.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Roderick Grant wrote:For a look at another building by William L. Steele, check out the Charles Mix County Court House at 400 East Main St., Lake Andes, SD (1918), photos in The Prairie School Traveler. Clearly G. G. Elmslie had a more profound effect on Steele than Sullivan.
As you know Sullivan was a drunk and Elmslie did most of the work.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

My wife and I toured the Woodbury County Courthouse on 5/5/18 and attended the Centennial dinner.

If you are an architecture fan you MUST go out of your way to see this building!

Ianelli did the sculptures, Elmslie designed the terra cotta (which was produced by American Terra Cotta & Ceramic Co. in Terra Cotta, IL north of Crystal Lake) and modeled by the renowned modeler, Kristian Schneider. They also made TECO pottery. Sullivan worked with the same company.

The building needs about $12M in restoration and is scheduled to get it over the next five or six years.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

These days, $12M doesn't seem all that much, especially for one of the most overlooked masterpieces of American architecture.

Paul Ringstrom

Re: Woodbury County Courthouse starts restoration

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

SDR

Re: Woodbury County Courthouse photos

Post by SDR »

From H Allen Brooks, "The Prairie School" (© 1972, The University of Toronto Press):

The last-mentioned work in the text above is a favorite of mine; Brooks rightly credits its genesis to Wright's Unity Temple:

"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The bank in Winona is a great building. Unfortunately, an addition was made to the NE side of the original building, judging by the style, probably in the 1960s, and the NE wall was largely obliterated to make the connection. The exterior is intact, and the interior is largely original, but for that missing wall. It is a grand and elegant masterpiece.

Although Sullivan's bank in Owatonna gets more attention and a book of its own, the P&E bank is worthy of a book itself.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Lest some readers mistake you, you're referring to Sullivan's Winona bank, not Purcell's---in your first paragraph ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchants ... Minnesota)

For my money, followers found a more useful example in Wright than in Sullivan. How many of them echoed the latter in their work, compared to the former ? I prefer Purcell & Feick's design for Winona---from what can be seen in sketch and models---to Sullivan's.

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Oops! You are correct. Mea culpa.

Nevertheless, it is a building that deserves more attention than it has received.