Article: Saving the "Purple Cow"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Saving the "Purple Cow"

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

(letter-to-the-editor re Van Wezel):

Tuesday’s letters: Tax cuts, Van Wezel and more

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

From the November 2016 issue of Sarasota Magazine:

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/articl ... -arts-hall

Rood

Post by Rood »

Astounding replacement costs ... ranging from $125,000,000 to $525,000.000.

I'll never forget the night preliminary drawings were being prepared ... Wes was due to fly to Sarasota the next day, and, late that night, Charles Montooth finished a cost analysis, which suggested the preliminary design was significantly over budget.

Don't recall the original budget, but it can't have been more than a couple million dollars. The 3,000 seat Grady Gammage Auditorium at Arizona State was constructed a few years prior ... at a cost of just over three million dollars.

To bring Sarasota within budget ... Wes redesigned the building that night, removing among other things the second floor balcony, which faced west, looking out over the Gulf of Mexico. Practically everyone at Taliesin West was put to work redrawing the project, which work continued until long after dawn.

Whatever the building's drawbacks, the good citizens of Sarasota seemed pleased as punch. While most auditoriums constructed at the time had budgets in excess of 10-20 million dollars, the citizens of Sarasota received a great deal at a bargain-basement price.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Maybe it's just getting old, but I cannot suffer through the popular entertainments of today, with the massive casts rambling about, yelling, flying through the air, setting off fireworks, bursting eardrums. Cher should get an award for endurance. Even a symphony orchestra stretches my limits. I prefer chamber-scaled venues. The Purple Cow should be saved as is. If popular entertainment must be accommodated, then instead of the Guarneri Quartet, book Well-Strung.

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

So you'd shun a performance of Mahler 8 then, Roderick?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It wouldn't take much for me to shun Mahler altogether. An die Freude I have sung, and would attend the 9th happily.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Re: Article: Saving the "Purple Cow"

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Since the principal problem with VW is its size, inability to mount large-scale productions and accommodate large crowds, doesn't COVID 19 obviate those complaints? Will this ever be over?

DRN

Post by DRN »

It would seem Wright’s and TAA’s preference for the end of row portal continental seating, which has no intervening aisles, but more legroom to allow fellow row guests to easily pass, is raising issues.
I don’t see how the theater seating could be reconfigured as tied as it is to the edge circulation.