Video: Stockman House - Mason City, IA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Stockman House - Mason City, IA

Post by DavidC »

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

I thought Cedar Rock was open to the public as well. Promotional videos are so well researched...

SDR

Post by SDR »

They might have you to rights, there, Sequoia -- Cedar Rock may be available to the public, but it isn't a Prairie design . . .

In any event, and overlooking the inexplicable sound track and graphics, we do have something to be thankful for: these two vintage (I guess) photos.
In one we see something rarely so well illustrated, namely Wright's thoughtful provision for daylighting of the interior by means of ceiling-high glazing.

SDR

Post by SDR »

And suddenly it strikes me: how could two photographs of the Stockman house fireplace display such striking differences ?

Specifically, the photo above shows some very prominent and "white" bed joints to the fireplace brickwork, while the more
recent one, below, exhibits perhaps the thinnest mortar bed of any Wright brickwork I've seen. How could this be ? Do the
color photos show a fireplace rebuilt following the move ?

There are the same number of brick courses in both photos, and the long brick-colored lintel could be the same, as well . . .

SDR

Post by SDR »

Two more photos. The odd man out: the black-and-white image from the subject video.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The old photo looks like it could have been touched up. Notice also on the newer photos, vertical joints form a diagonal from the lintel, as if damage was done, perhaps from the move?