Taliesin West Master Plan

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

There's no difficulty in drawing a single free-hand diagonal line; the problem is to repeat that -- at whatever length required, up to the fill width of the paper -- any number of times. I'd be tempted to tilt the paper.

The parallel-line textures drawn by Lloyd, Howe et al are virtually always vertical or horizontal. I wonder if there were/are any drafting machines at Taliesin. With 30º and 60º click stops, drawing one of those Usonian grids would be a piece of cake.

The blades of a drafting machine are about as long as any triangle -- but not nearly as long as a big T-square or a parallel edge.

I used a drafting machine in only one office, for a couple of years late in the game. I got used to it. I seldom got to employ the click-stops, available at 15º increments as I recall it ? There might also have been a mechanism allowing one to return to any pre-set angle . . .

McCoy worked in the aircraft industry before joining Schindler; thus, her machine. When a second drafter joined the office with one, that led to the anecdote previously recounted.

SDR

owenCollins

Post by owenCollins »

Oh my goodness this is an amazing resource. Did you see the drawings of the pavilion, one mentions a concrete roof.

owenCollins

Post by owenCollins »

ImageScreenShot by Owen Collins, on Flickr

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Cabaret Theatre has a desert stone roof, but I don't believe the Pavilion was ever intended to have one.

owenCollins

Post by owenCollins »

The roof in the image is very different than the final one. The only original concrete roofs were the Kiva and the Cabaret, you are right. Probably not a coincidence that both places were intended to show films.

Perhaps initial ideas for the 'Movement Pavilion' (as it was noted on the drawing) was to also have a concrete roof?

SDR

Post by SDR »

There are two Movements Pavilion drawings; neither one has a concrete roof.

Harry Shearer's "Le Show" on radio, broadcast here Sundays at noon, includes a segment almost every week on some silliness or scandal having to do with the IOC. "The Olympics: it's a movement -- and we should all have one -- every day !" he intones . . .

SDR

owenCollins

Post by owenCollins »

the image posted above is titled Pavilion Concrete Roof. But of course that could be mislabeled.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- I missed that. It's hard to tell; I suppose that could be a construction of concrete, perhaps separate cast panels or arches ?

But the other drawings labeled Movements Pavilion are of wood or steel construction, I believe. The built pavilion is more like a Butler steel-arch building that anything else, to me.

SDR

owenCollins

Post by owenCollins »

Ultimately it had Wooden trusses for the first version and then Steel in the 1964 rebuild.

The back wall Changed over the years. It would be interesting to know if any of those draftings in the Appendices have dates. There is a lot of changes over time, regardless of the 1964 rebuild.

Here is a screenshot from Partner to Genius a documentary on Olgivanna

ImageScreen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.40.33 PM by Owen Collins, on Flickr

It shows the back wall before the desert masonry was added to the Stage Left side.

owenCollins

Post by owenCollins »

View of the stage today (or at least July 2017 before replacement of roof panels)

ImageView of Pavilion stage from back of house 2017 by Owen Collins, on Flickr