eBay: Gillin House (Dallas, TX) construction drawings

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Don't make me show this again . . . :roll:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Gillin is one of those FLW designs that is best seen in person. I have never cared as much for the big houses, verging on mansions, as for the small wonders, like Goetsch-Winkler, but Gillin in person is very impressive. It's hard to say what begat the change from the intended plaster ceiling to wood. Possibly the immense size of the room with its limited daylight from the small windows on the NNW side called out for ceiling lights, and we all know how much FLW disdained those, so he may have decided late in the game to go whole hog. Nevertheless, it works.

(Notice in the second section above, showing the ventilation at the peak of the living room, expressed as a hexagonal skylight inside, there are chimes hanging. Mr. Guerin, the second owner, was not fond of the tintinnabulation, and removed them. I believe the skylight was also rebuilt as fixed glass.)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick, do we know for sure that the roofs are indeed concrete slabs ?

If the lighting was a late addition to the scheme, either there had to be pockets cast in the slabs to receive the fixtures, or the whole ceiling had to be furred down to provide room for them. Most interesting . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't know the chronology of the design and construction, but it would seem most likely that a conversion from plaster to wood ceiling presaged the beginning of construction. According to Mr. Guerin, the roofs are indeed concrete.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Preceded ? Foretold ? Spooky . . .

SDR

Post by SDR »

Gillin plan, from William Allin Storrer, "The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion,":

© copyright 1993 by W A Storrer

SDR

Post by SDR »

Sorry---I didn't mean to post that so large . . . !

Better now.

S