For sale: FLW Jr.'s Novarro House - Los Angeles, CA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Is this where Ramon Novarro was murdered?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Could be. Someone will have to compare dates . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramon_Novarro

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Yes, Clyde. Novarro lived in the house from the day he took it over from Samuel to his grisly end. He picked up hustler brothers who did unseemly things to him in search of a non-existent fortune hidden in the house.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

A Google search on ramon novarro murder finds sources that variously place the murder in Laurel Canyon, a couple of miles west of the house, and North Hollywood (1 2), even further away.

SDR

Post by SDR »

From the Wiki page I posted above. For the footnote references, see page.

Murder

Novarro was murdered on October 30, 1968, by brothers Paul and Tom Ferguson, aged 22 and 17, who called him and offered their s e x u al services. He had in the past hired prostitutes from an agency to come to his Laurel
Canyon home for s e x, and the Fergusons obtained Novarro's telephone number from a previous guest.[18][19][20]

According to the prosecution in the murder case, the two young men believed that a large sum of money was hidden in Novarro's house. The prosecution accused the brothers of torturing Novarro for several hours to
force him to reveal where the non-existent money was hidden. They left the house with $20 they took from his bathrobe pocket. Novarro died as a result of asphyxiation, having choked to death on his own blood after being
beaten.[21] The two perpetrators were caught and sentenced to long prison terms, but released on probation in the mid-1970s. Both were later re-arrested for unrelated crimes for which they served longer prison terms than
for the murder of Novarro.[22] In a 1998 interview, Paul Ferguson finally assumed the blame for Novarro's death.[23]

Ramón Novarro is buried in Calvary Cemetery, East Los Angeles, California.[24] Ramón Novarro's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is at 6350 Hollywood Boulevard.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I can't help thinking that if the crime had taken place in the Lloyd Wright house, the fact would have found its way into the standard accounts and that at least half of them would misattribute the house to Frank Sr.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Down, boy ! The Wright name has enough to contend with as it is; don't put fresh ideas into some lascivious young docent's head !

The next thing you know, it'll be Frank, Jr's mad housemaid, who killed twelve innocent tourists in the bathroom -- a couple of years ago . . .

This is the source of two of the Wiki writer's items about the murder:

Ellenberger, Allan R. (2009). Ramon Novarro: A Biography of the Silent Film Idol, 1899-1968; with a Filmography. McFarland. pp. 5–6. ISBN 978-0-7864-4676-6.

and this is a third:

"Ramon Novarro Slain on Coast. Starred in Silent Film 'Ben-Hur'. Ramon Novarro, Silent Era Star, Slain". New York Times. November 1, 1968. Retrieved 2014-09-11. "Ramon Novarro,
the Mexican-born star of scores of Hollywood movies made in the nineteen-twenties and thirties, was found bludgeoned to death in his $125,000 Hollywood Hills home early this morning."

Quotes added to the last sentence; I assume those are the words of the Times writer.

S

Craig

Post by Craig »

Novarro had long sold the Lloyd Wright house at the time of his murder. By then he was living on Laurel Canyon. Kenneth Anger was the one who introduced the "Art Deco Dildo" myth into the murder in his book, "Hollywood Babylon."
ch

Craig

Post by Craig »

3110 Laurel Canyon Boulevard was the actual address.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Craig. I knew someone would get us straightened out . . .

S

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Craig wrote:Novarro had long sold the Lloyd Wright house at the time of his murder. By then he was living on Laurel Canyon. Kenneth Anger was the one who introduced the "Art Deco Dildo" myth into the murder in his book, "Hollywood Babylon."
Thanks for the correction, and it's good to be able to disassociate this house from that event.

Oak Park Jogger

Post by Oak Park Jogger »

We hunted up the Navarro house last week when we were in LA. It's impressive! The actual front of the house is reached by driving past the entrance gate, making a hairpin turn to the right and descending the hill. For those of us from the flat midwest, where streets are laid out in a grid, the drive was, as my wife said, "attention getting." The Google map route looks like a piece of spaghetti randomly dropped onto floor with all its twists and turns. You'd certainly not want to go out and party heavily before driving home if you lived in that lovely home! We realized that it was trash pick-up day and everyone's garbage cans were out on the street, and sympathized for the garbage truck driver who had to navigate all the twists and turns in that neighborhood. Still, if we had the extra 4+ million, we'd buy it!!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Oh, yeah. I recall arriving at College Hill, just east of downtown Providence, RI, and feeling like I was going to trip and end up in the river; I had grown up on land that was almost flat. Whee ! "No need to bring my bicycle to this town," I said to myself.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

To be fair to the broad, flat land of the Midwest, there is a neighborhood in Minneapolis with hills and "spaghetti" roads called Tangletown. Once within its borders, if dense cloud cover makes orientation by the sun impossible, it can be hard finding one's way out. Of course, in Mpls, a "hill" amounts to a matter of maybe 3 feet from base to peak.

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tangl ... -93.280998

Try the hilly terrain of Marin County; one's only hope of escape is to "head downhill" . . .

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mill+ ... 22.5449763

S