For sale: FLW Jr.'s Novarro House - Los Angeles, CA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

For sale: FLW Jr.'s Novarro House - Los Angeles, CA

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is certainly one of Lloyd's masterpieces, but it needs a lot of restoration in the interior.

Craig

Post by Craig »

The house as designed for Samuel featured numerous built-ins, casework and continuation of the copper arrow motif throughout. Very romantic, 1920s work in line with Lloyd's own home and the Sowden house.

When Navarro took possession, Lloyd returned and basically gutted all the original styling, expanded and "modernized" the house in a more typically "streamlined" 1930s fashion. All the heavy wood furniture went out and Warren McArther aluminum furniture was brought in.

I believe it was Diane Keaton who then hired Josh Schweitzer to completely strip the place down to the bare bones and add the cartoonish green built-ins. The interior, once so rich with warmth and detail, appears so dreary to me. I agree with whoever said the current interiors look straight out of a prison.
ch

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Craig, what is your source for Lloyd's remodeling of the interiors for Navarro?

Craig

Post by Craig »

I have a copy of an Architectural Record article on the Samuel house written by Pauline Schindler which shows the original facade and three interior photos with the Wright-designed furnishings.

I also have an article from Architectural Digest showing the place after Novarro took possession, also with interior shots showing a much simplified interior and loads of tubular furniture. The article states that Wright was called in to make changes for Novarro.

There is also a drawing showing Wright's exterior changes, including the addition of the pergola to the left and cutting in the huge window to the left of the garage. This was originally a solid, windowless wall.
ch

Craig

Post by Craig »

I can send some scans to SDR to post if someone PM's me with his email.
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'd be happy to. My email is found at the bottom of my posts.

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Craig provides these images of the Samuel-Novarro house.

From "an Architectural Record article on the Samuel house written by Pauline Schindler which shows the original facade and three interior photos with the Wright-designed furnishings":

. . . and from "an article from Architectural Digest showing the place after Novarro took possession, also with interior shots showing a much simplified interior and loads of tubular furniture. The article states that Wright was called in to make changes for Novarro."

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

As so often happens, the original design of Samuel-Novarro is superior to the altered version ... even the windows interrupting that large blank space are no improvement.

As wonderful as the remodeled Coonley living room façade is, I still prefer the original design. Sondern made Adler larger, but not more interesting. Architects are well advised to leave well enough alone. At least with Hanna, the alterations were planned from the start, and did no harm.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

It dawns on me that the pieces in the photo above must be Warren McArthur tubular furniture . . .

S

Craig

Post by Craig »

Yes, the height of 1930s modernity. But given the custom nature of the original interiors, it's kind of the equivalent of ripping out architect-designed, hand-made furnishings and replacing them with IKEA. But what would I know? I was never a silent movie star...
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

You're probably right on, there. Speaking of silent movie stars, do we know who's speaking to the statue, in that photo ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Ramon