Jack Howe Notes?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. One can be part of the problem, or part of the solution, with Wikipedia; readers are permitted, even encouraged, to flesh out or to correct accounts that are incomplete or erroneous. I find the resource very useful in any event, and began last year to support them to the tune of $10/mo. It's way more than compensated for by what I find there, and for the low cost of my own online storage needs . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I am not sure what hoops one must go through to contribute in any way to Wikipedia, but my email to them about the Lincoln Affair went nowhere.

Rood

Post by Rood »

Roderick Grant wrote:I am not sure what hoops one must go through to contribute in any way to Wikipedia, but my email to them about the Lincoln Affair went nowhere.
To enter anything at Wikipedia it's necessary to undergo a complicated process of registration. Users who monitor the various sites disregard any entry that isn't from a registered user. The information must also be backed up with source material. A contributor's superior knowledge is never enough.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Yet what I contributed was not new information. I simply asked them to prove what they had said about FLW's middle name. That they didn't is proof that their standards are iffy.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Back to Howe....really enjoying the book and the photos. Only wish there were more plans and so forth to really appreciate the designs. (My benchmark for an architecture book is this: is there enough information so that I could build a model of a design?)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Fair point: there are seven Howe plans, and three section drawings, in the book -- rather a disappointment. The rest of the many illustrations are Jack's lovely rendered perspectives. There is more to the understanding of architecture than exterior appearance . . .

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

An article about a Howe house (in Connecticut no less) with which I was unfamiliar:

http://www.cottages-gardens.com/Connect ... pan-Point/