For sale: Three of Wright's Glencoe, IL houses

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Let's identify that property, again, as the William F Kier residence (1915).

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

"I believe the buyers will do their best to maintain the original ethos of the home."

I should hope so---whatever the heck that means.

Now, should the seller's experience of bathos (following a disappointing return on investment), and perhaps her resulting pathos, concern us as well ?

S

JJM2

Re: For sale: Three of Wright's Glencoe, IL houses

Post by JJM2 »

Scheme #1 for the Sherman Booth house is super intriguing to me. The home and site appear to equally dramatic and intertwined. Beyond those amazing, well-known renderings, I do not feel like I have a handle on the way the home engages the site and how the interior plays out. I read from on this site a while back (2006?) that this design included a dramatic 2-story living room "encircled" by skylights which make the center "seam to float". That sounds amazing.

Thank you to SDR for posting up some images of the Booth Scheme #1 from Monograph 3 in this thread. Are there any other images of elevations, sections or interior renderings of that scheme in monograph 3 or 9 (I read that there may also be some in volume 9), or any other source that someone could post here? Sadly, I do not have the means to purchase those critical books. Thank you for any help. The curiosity is killing me!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for asking, JJM2. Yes, in addition to what I've posted so far from Monograph 3, there are 6 additional drawings published there. And the text offers that there is more on the design in Monograph 9, as you say: "A full description of the house plan and its way of working into and around the ravine was covered in the ninth volume of this series . . ."

There is enough information, collectively, in these drawings for an ambitious and patient digital modeler to attempt a rendering of this design, I think.

Image T 1118.19
Image T 1118.20
Image T 1118.21a
Image T 1118.21b
Image T 1118.22
Image T 1118.25
© 1987 A.D.A. EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd., and by The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

JJM2, Volume 9 shows rough sketches of the images that SDR has already posted. On pages 176-177 of Vol. 3 are 4 cross sections SDR did not post, two of the house as a whole, two focused on the living room. The flat roof over the square living room is supported by 4 intersecting steel I-beams concentric within the room. As the posted roof plan shows, the spaces thus defined between the beams and the walls contain raised skylights above lay lights that are placed about a foot above the ceiling plane, with the corners solid roof. The roof between the beams is the "floating" mass. Shown in plan, the space on the second level behind the massive fireplace/chimney contains a long, narrow music room. Between the chimney and the corner of the living room is a wall of spindles, floor to ceiling, creating a musicians' balcony. Along the living room side of the second story conservatory are 4 double doors opening onto 4 tiny balconies overlooking the lower room. Each "balconiette" is separated from its neighbors by slatted screens with pendant light fixtures hanging from the extensions of the top board of the screens.

That this room was not built is a tragedy, a missed opportunity. This house was the culmination of a series that began with the Winslow stables, progressed through Rollin Furbeck, Wm. Martin, Fricke, Tomek, Robie and a few unbuilt projects. As built, it is resplendent enough, but as planned, it would have taken your breath away.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Oops! As I wrote, Quick-draw SDR has posted the cross sections I referred to.

JJM2

Post by JJM2 »

These are great! Thank you SDR and Roderick. this is exactly what I was hoping for. Those plans and your descriptions really help bring this scheme to life. I agree SDR, this should be enough for a model. I may attempt a 3d print model, as that is within my limited skill set.

This design may also make a good project for an accomplished digital artist like David Romero. Much like the Lake Tahoe cabins, nature plays a lead role which may be better understood with that kind of sophisticated visual representation. I imagine that would require a bit more research on specified materials, color, etc. This scheme appears to have gotten pretty far into the planning stage, so maybe that level of detail exists. I cannot wait.