John Lautner Stevens House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Craig

John Lautner Stevens House

Post by Craig »

I don't know if this has been shared before but it's a real pleasure to view this video. The house looks even better when compared to its prosaic neighbors:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/14047165 ... =0&title=0
Last edited by Craig on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ch

DRN

Post by DRN »

One of Lautner's best...this video is a work of art in itself. I love the Harry Bertoia-esque swaying rod guard rail at the sea wall...more poetic than code compliant, I suspect.

This house was momentarily visible in some of the helicopter scene set up shots for the sitcom "Two and a Half Men", though editing to add commercials to the endless reruns may have nixed it by now.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I have often wondered why architects locate bedrooms toward the main views. One is supposedly asleep at night, and whether you're bedroom view is of the Pacific or the graffiti-clad wall of a warehouse shouldn't matter. In this case, I would relocate the main bedroom, and convert it into a major day room, as much for the fenestration as the view.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Exquisite.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Stevens

your

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Ed Norton has good taste and adequate resources. Sold for 11.8 million..

peterm

Post by peterm »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Lautner gives us the plans and sections:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow.
I remember when this was first featured in Architectural Record
lo, those many decades ago.
Takes me back.
RG-I'll remember your comment.

Drawings are a great help
Thanks SDR
It's not easy to understand all of what's going on here.
In what book are these drawings published?

DRN

Post by DRN »

The drawings illustrate the point made by Wes Peters in the 1980's documentary about Lautner: that Lautner was a brilliant designer, but his that his draftsmanship left a lot to be desired...Wright noted that Lautner "drew like a carpenter."

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh. Lautner's working drawings (are they all in his hand ?) are crowded with notes and dimensions, and no poché, so they can be very hard to read. This is
a relatively clear set. Note some added notes and lines, not so neatly made, suggesting that the lettering on the original sheets (at least) is not his ?

The herringbone ceramic or stone flooring was the final choice, according to the photos. It even clads the entry-step risers . . .

Is anybody surprised that those arching bents are built around large I-beams, rather than being made of concrete with rebar ?

There are two Lautner monographs, as far as I know; this is from the one he edited and contributed to, published by the Princeton Architectural Press, in 1998.

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Interesting catch.
Would be great to see detail drawings.
I wonder if the bents were cast off site
or in-place.
Surely somewhere there are photographs.

SDR

Post by SDR »

A lot can be seen in the video. The beams seem integrally cast-in-place with the bent slabs; they are exterior to those curving board-formed planes. Quite a construction job -- but not out of line with some of Lautner's other mature works. He did a lot with concrete . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Right,
I had not really looked.
It's all cast in place.
Gotta be a stash of photographs somewhere.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Have you Googled "Lautner Stevens house" ? "Images" has a goodly selection, in this case -- though perhaps not everything you'd hoped for ?

S