E.A. Smith house recreation

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yeah
Section shows "perfs" in the M Bedroom

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah. Nice one . . .

SDR

David

Post by David »

Wow, all this information is very valuable, this chat is like the the genius of the lamp

goffmachine

Post by goffmachine »

Gorgeous.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Never really studied these houses before.
The sections posted here emphasize the importance
Wright gave to 'gesture' in architecture.
I mean all that uninhabited space in the roofs-
nevertheless it's beautiful.

(by the way SDR: strikes me how much this
forum is indebted to you for your postings.
If ever in the Bay area again, dinner on me
if you've got the time.)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Sam Freeman called it "an extravagant waste of space."

David

Post by David »

I agree with Tom, Thanks SDR, and I would love to be in that dinner!

About the "extravagant waste of space" springs to my mind the famous quote by Oscar Wilde "“We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
The art is quite useless"

David

Post by David »

Looking at the plan provided by SDR, Do you think the garage is open?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, guys -- just doin' the job. (All should contribute to the extent of their ability -- and take away what they can ? Hope that doesn't sound too "pink" . . . !)

Yes, I would say the "garage" is really a carport, placed under a wooden promontory like a cave in a cliff -- in section, at least ? One thinks of what R M Schindler took away from a trip to Yosemite -- an inland version of the stony cliffs and conifers at the subject site, at the Pacific edge of the North American Plate -- which was the feeling of prospect/refuge provided by a particular camp-site shelter . . .

Unlike a cave, the carport here is has a three-sided outlook, oriented uphill, in a teaser to the visual feast of vista available from the living-room balcony(s).

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

David wrote:Looking at the plan provided by SDR, Do you think the garage is open?
I'm not sure that Wright designed a garage for a residence after the Jacobs house. Anyone?

peterm

Post by peterm »

David- I was just looking at this photo and thought about the contrast of wood and desert rubble in Wright's architecture. This photo of Elizabeth Gordon at Taliesin West in 1946 might be of help in determining more accurate colors for the Smith house:

https://www.curbed.com/2017/5/10/155926 ... oyd-wright

Excellent work, by the way!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Who is Sam Freeman?

peterm

Post by peterm »

https://arch.usc.edu/freeman-house

Freeman was the original client/owner of one of the Los Angeles textile block houses.

SDR

Post by SDR »

One of Wright's LA clients of the 'twenties . . .

It could be said that desert rubble-stone masonry might vary some in color depending on the local stone, and on whatever is the makeup of the concrete employed ?

Garages in the Usonian period are very few. We recently looked at the Erdman houses; four of the #1 plan had garages, while the #2 design featured a carport with closed sides. Wright appealing to a more conservative client ?

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Oh - THAT Sam Freeman.
Well what was the context of his
"extravagant waste of space" remark?
Was it typical for him to comment on Wright designs?
I know nothing about Freeman personally.