Lloyd Lewis sections

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
g.dorn

Re: Lloyd Lewis sections

Post by g.dorn »

SDR wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:01 am
snip

I noticed on these drawings: that the living room balcony subsequently was reduced in size, particularly on the right hand side,

and

the entry wall appears to have had some vertical batten. I imagine they would have provided nice glimpses of the river and some decent light. Im also guessing that Mr Wright decided he didn't want any views out of the entry and wanted it reasonably dark, thus eliminated any view entirely.

This model shows just perfs at the top of the entry walls!

It also shows interesting buttressing to the bedroom balcony sub flooring and a brickwall at the end of the Loggia which I realise I can actually see on this alarmy photo!

but as far as I can tell - there is no buttressing indicated on the drawings seen so far -only some sort of ventilation slots.

Buttresses, I guess were added for lateral stability of such a long wing.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Tom

Post by Tom »

The brick buttresses may also have given the bedroom balcony some support.

The entry loggia is similar to the Affleck loggia and the Price House atrium in Arizona - all similar feel and function.
Any other houses that do this?

Appreciate RG's comparison to Willey 1. Always wondered what happened to that until now.

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

I think this view kinda shows what is to me a theme of Mr Wright -heavy piers at ends with a suspended bridge in between.

this photo shows how close to the river it is! almost like a paddle steamer, docked on shore

can also see on this photo - that the bedroom subfloor brickwork has some sort of recessing.

note; if open photo in separate window - photo is quite large

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

These photos show a browny tone to the brickworks and timber, where as on other photos the timber has greyed.

I wonder if there has been some pressure wash cleaning?

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

The first three photos are clearly post-renovation. An unfortunate effect of the first (and last) images is that the brick masses at each edge of the photo appear to be battered; it is the wood walls which are pitched.

It would be great to get closer to the house, to see if the original parapets have been re-sided. I don't know how boards like those seen in this 30-year old photo could be saved: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... NeDLggN3_g

Here are views you may not have seen:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/in ... id92485823

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The austere entrance façade is very dramatic! Not at all friendly. It reminds me of a sign outside a house in the Hollywood Hills:
"Unless you live here...."

Tom

Post by Tom »

What's the story behind the red pipe framing and screens?
In some shots and drawings you see it. In others you don't.
Right off hand the only other place I can think of it's use is the court at Taliesin.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Look at the Loren Pope residence for another example; the Levin house has or had something similar.

The route to the living room of Lewis is about at tortuous as any---a trek, with varying architectural scenery along the way---of any I can easily think of. A spelunker should be so lucky . . .!

SDR

Post by SDR »

The Getty photo I linked above is titled "Interior view of study with fireplace . . ."

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/in ... id92485823

But it can't be the study, according to the plan and other photos (see color view of living room with fireplace at right and study with open door beyond; look at the ceiling, which has a continuous laylight of some sort passing in front of both fireplaces). Is it the master bedroom ? It must be, though again it doesn't match the floor plan perfectly.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yeah - I think it's the bedroom at the end.

... right Pope did the red pipe screen porch too I'd forgotten.

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

The entry is very tight - in that regard very Wright like - but I also think that it is not well executed , with various planes and levels and things overhead at all odd places. To me it seems rather unwelcoming.

If what Mr Storrer say about Mr Wright- is that Mr Wright adapted his unit shape, and designs to the character of the client- then the Lewis's must have a had a rather hard, reserved and self protecting character - as a first appearance - but once you get to know them - quite warm and friendly.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

kitchen stairs

The plan in Sergeants Usonian book I gather is drawn wrongly - the servants room is accessed from partially hidden door in the carport.
The 610 mm (2 ft ) wide stairs that rise to the kitchen-
have a total length of about 4 + 2= 6 ft (72" - 1.82m) with 10 treads + 1 landing (610 x 610mm) = 7" (178mm ) /tread ,
for a height of 10 units 90 " ( 2.28m) which = 9" ( 228mm) /riser

surely a non-complying stair - more like a ships ladder than a stair- is this a typical thing in USA?

What more, does this stair have a security door? None appears on the drawings!

PLAN UF part of stair
Image[/url]

PLAN GF part of stair
Image[/url]

a 3D view - some walls not shown so can see stair
lloyd lewis kitchen stair 3d by g dorn, on Flickr
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

view towards kitchen via dining area -

hassocks for dining table seating!

Ive noticed this house has lots of curtains - was it too bright? or the nature of owners to want privacy!

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

This photo of the living area fireplace - shows a very wide brick mantel - but notice the brick at the rear - look like double course fast wall bricks!

whch is also visible in this photo behind the wire curtain - it they special fire bricks?

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

found these photos

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build