What Wright thing haven't you done yet?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Post by DRN »

A set of images of the complete 8 sheet set of construction drawings for the unbuilt William Clifton house sold at auction last year (alas, not to me!):

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/decorative-a ... 78-79113.s#

EJ

Post by EJ »

For me, my Wright bucket list would be:

1) Touring the interiors of the 4 textile block houses. I've seen them all from the outside.

2) The interior of Hollyhock, which I will be doing in a couple of months.

3) The San Francisco area works: Morris Gift Shop, Marin County, and Hanna.
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

SDR

Post by SDR »

The Berger house was sold, and must have new owners. We haven't heard from them yet. I was lucky enough to have been given an afternoon in the house with Eric.

Talk about an all-wood interior -- with giant desert masonry hex fireplace-tower, off-center to the larger tented space . . . and the kids' bedrooms like monk's cells, mysteriously lighted. Unforgettable.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Archives at Avery

peterm

Post by peterm »

SDR wrote:The Berger house was sold, and must have new owners. We haven't heard from them yet. I was lucky enough to have been given an afternoon in the house with Eric.

Talk about an all-wood interior -- with giant desert masonry hex fireplace-tower, off-center to the larger tented space . . . and the kids' bedrooms like monk's cells, mysteriously lighted. Unforgettable.

S
The new owners were present at the San Francisco conference in 2016. The place looked stunning, and though they had only been there for a short time, it was tidy and decorated flawlessly, as though John de Koven Hill and Charlotte Perriand had done a collaboration from beyond. The house is spectacular.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks; I'm glad to hear it.

While there I observed a prominent splinter of mahogany peeling away from a window post in the living room. I ached to repair it on the spot, with some Titebond and masking tape --
before someone carelessly tore or broke it off. As it was I neglected to point it out to Eric. Hope it's okay now -- so easily fixed if done carefully and promptly . . .

S

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Bucket: Hanna. G-Winkler. Palmer. Planning Kyoto trip 2020 (or after olympics) Imperial @ Meji Mura

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

perrino, while in Japan, don't forget Yamamura and Jiyu Gakuen; both are accessible and well worth the effort.

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Mr. Grant - thank you, yes those will be on our list as well. Tokyo. Ginza. etc.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Tour inside of Sturges

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Never been in it myself. When Bridges and Larson lived there, having been inside was, short of being an owner, the ultimate badge of status in LA Wright circles. Let's hope the Conservancy opens it this fall.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The subject of the October conference will be the influence FLW had on Southern California design post WWII, so it is quite likely that Sturges will be on the house tour, as well as Anderton and even Pearce. Perhaps a trip to the (pre-war) Oboler estate would be in keeping, a sort of funeral.

I took Katherine Jacobs up to Sturges in '89. Jack explained that they were wary of visitors because of the debacle of a "Frank Lloyd Wright Week" tour in the 70s, which resulted in long, long lines of people traipsing through the house for an entire weekend. La Min similarly became off limits as a result of that event. Jack and James were gracious hosts, but it was only because it was the Grand Dame of FLW owners who requested a visit that we got in.

SDR

Post by SDR »

No way to top that. The mind reels . . .

Did we look at this ? https://lamodern.com/frank-lloyd-wright ... residence/

Pardon me if I repeat myself. S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The first photo is marvelous. I'd love to see more of the photographer's work.

The second captures Lois Lane in a rare mood.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Ha!