Broadacre City

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Unbrook

Broadacre City

Post by Unbrook »

What is the best resource to learn about Broadacre City?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There is a pair of paperback books, 7"x14", collectively known as "The Phoenix Papers" (The Herberger Center for Design Excellence, 1990, 160 pp each). Volume I is "Broadacre City," Volume II is "The Natural Pattern of Structure." Volume I has 7 articles, including H. Allen Brooks, John Sergeant and Lionel March. Rare, I am sure.

J. B. Muns has a Taliesin publication: "The New Frontier, Broadacre City" Vol. 1, 1940, a 38-page pamphlet, alas $450.

MOman2

Broadacre City model

Post by MOman2 »

Does anyone have info on what happened to the Broadacre City model from 2014?
MOMA in New York currently has a restored version of the Broadacre City model on display. Michael Hession went down there to snap a few pictures, seen throughout this post. The exhibition closes June 1, 2014.
https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/broadac ... 1509433082
Thank you
in addition here are two websites that discuss Broadacre City
http://www.curbed.com/2017/1/4/14154644 ... ty-history

http://www.mediaarchitecture.at/archite ... l_en.shtml

DRN

Re: Broadacre City and Einstein

Post by DRN »

I came across this article recently...apparently Wright and Einstein had an evening together at La Miniatura...
https://www.ias.edu/ideas/2014/cameron-einstein

Tom

Re: Broadacre City

Post by Tom »

Great Links
Thank you

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. Thank you, Dan. Another piece of Wright history brought to the surface.

There are several early houses by Kahn on the USmodernist page that I've not seen before. I particularly like the Morton and Lenore Weiss house of 1950.

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

Kahn’s Weiss house is arguably his best design for single family living...the vertical sliding wood sunshades, furniture designs and mural were stand out details. The original owners loved it and lived there the rest of their lives.

Sadly, the house is now hanging by a thread. It was acquired by a realtor about 20 years ago after the Weiss’ passed away. The house is on a notably large parcel of land very convenient to a brand new hospital. The realtor seems to want to develop the property and laughably proposed at a hearing that he would preserve the house by recycling its stone masonry for the veneer masonry on whatever buildings would be constructed on the site. A desk from the house was sold at auction a year or two ago.

MOman2

Post by MOman2 »

If it is still around where is the Broadacre City model?

SDR

Post by SDR »

It is assumed to be at MoMA in New York, with the other models . . .?

S