Article: Laurie Virr's House 'Rivendell' - Canberra, AU

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

goffmachine wrote:From the teaser trailer at minute 7:43 does anyone recognise that house and who the architect is? It looks familiar... definate wright influence. well done."Straight and True [teaser]" on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/71970299?ref=em-v-share
Laurie Virr answers your question:

"The Usonian type houses depicted on the video were designed by Bruce Rickard [1 December 1929 to 22 September 2010].

He had been a pupil of Ian McHarg when at the University of Pennsylvania."

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

As many of you know, Laurie Virr has designed as small house for me.

It started out as "a miserable Japanese Hut for my favorite Texan." In fact, this lovely design has developed into far more than I can explain. A true friendship and respect for an Architect who truly "gets it."

It is my plan to build this house on 3 acres in the low mountains in Western North Carolina, 32 minutes from Asheville. One builder wrote back to me that they don't build any further than 30 minutes. He missed this little opus by 2 minutes. My ancestors made it through NC as carpenters and farmers.

The kids I teach today, don't even know how to use a ruler...
I'm doing my best to correct that.

Bbuck

BBuck

Enduring Architecture

Post by BBuck »

peterm

Post by peterm »

Congratulations to Laurie Virr for the well deserved recognition of his wonderful home!

Bill- please keep us posted as to the progress on your place. The best things in life are worth the wait!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Peter received these images of Rivendell from Laurie, and I post them here with pleasure:

The original plan and rendered view. Carport and entry, upper right; Laurie's study at center, with bedroom 2 in the "lantern" above; bedroom 1 at right; living room, center left; kitchen and dining at left.

Views:

Image 17

Image Dining table at left

Image Dining, kitchen

Image Kitchen

Image Lantern

Image J

Image H

Image Central tower

In 2002 Laurie created a workroom addition off the living room, near the kitchen:

Image Detail 1

Image Detail 2

Image Addition 1

Image Addition 2

Image Roof 1

Image Roof 2

goffmachine

Post by goffmachine »

Thank you Peterm. :D

peterm

Post by peterm »

Laurie Virr sends this info regarding the unusual dining chairs:

"The chairs at the dining table at Rivendell were designed by Walter Burley Griffin.
They were purchased in 1965 for AUD$2.oo each! Very little of the architect’s
furniture, designed during his Australian sojourn, is extant, and these chairs are
superior to anything in the National Collection."

DRN

Post by DRN »

The chairs had caught my eye too...they seemed modern, but of a different era from the house. Considering their purchase in 1965, they seem to have survived well 50 years of daily use, including by children, in their present home. A pic or two of a chair away from the table would be interesting to see. I'm assuming they are stable.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Hello Peter:

Thanks for posting so much of this wonderful home of Laurie's. Perhaps you could ask just how it was that he came by the chairs back in the 60's?

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not knowing where I might find images of Griffin-designed furnishings, I consulted my meager Griffin archive.
In the third and last resource, Spencer's "The Prairie School Tradition," I was gratified to find a drawing of a chair
which -- to me -- bears some relation to Laurie's unique treasures. The foot, the full-height side spindles, the rise
of a curved back and a circular seat seem to presage the later chairs -- while perhaps echoing Wright's barrel chair ?

peterm

Post by peterm »

DavidC wrote:Hello Peter:

Thanks for posting so much of this wonderful home of Laurie's. Perhaps you could ask just how it was that he came by the chairs back in the 60's?

David
You're welcome, though it's SDR who does most of the work posting. I just pass the pics on to him, and he takes it from there ;- )

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

SDR,

Lovely drawings, but the illustrations have little to do with the chairs shown in Laurie Virr's home. Other than being designed Walter Burley Griffin, we find these in Australia, not America.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Bill, I've been meaning to ask Laurie about the history of the chairs, but haven't yet gotten to it. Do you know the date, or the house/client they were designed for? They look 1930s to me...

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, B Buck. I'd love to see more Griffin-designed furniture. He was as restless a designer as Mr Wright, I feel. For what it's worth, I'd like to know if others see any common thread between the chair at the left in Mahony's (?) drawing and Laurie's Griffin chairs.

Not to distract us from the subject of this thread, of course. It's a treat finally to see a generous selection of views of Rivendell. The roof lantern takes me all the way back to the bedroom at the front of the Robie house. And his roofs make me think that one thing Mr Virr took away with him from his important post-Wright encounter with Taliesin III, was permission to let the spaces within dictate roof forms, and not the other way around . . . ?

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Laurie has further favored us with photos, c/o Peter, of one of his Griffin chairs, of the mailbox at Rivendell, and of a ceiling at Griffin's Capitol Theater, Melbourne, of 1924.

https://www.google.com/search?q=capitol ... 41&bih=941

On the linked Google Image page one will find, among many others, an image of a glass Exit sign (eighth row, left) bearing a striped motif found in the first four images.

The final two photos presumably show the underside of the cantilevered concrete entrance canopy.

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/136022851221735616/

http://www.architecture.com.au/docs/def ... f?sfvrsn=0

SDR