Article: Laurie Virr's House 'Rivendell' - Canberra, AU

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Laurie Virr's House 'Rivendell' - Canberra, AU

Post by DavidC »

DRN

Post by DRN »

A great article on a great house.
The photo noted Rivendell4, which looks toward the dining and workspace appears to show a retractable window wall?

Rood

Post by Rood »

DRN wrote:A great article on a great house.
The photo noted Rivendell4, which looks toward the dining and workspace appears to show a retractable window wall?
Text accompanying the photos states the north (sun) elevation is composed of French doors and stationary glass.

peterm

Post by peterm »

The juxtaposition and integration of diamond and hemicycle feels so natural and flowing in the hands of a sensitive architect. I would love to see even more photos!

(And Mr. Virr... I miss your insightful posts!)

DRN

Post by DRN »

Rood: My question was rooted in what I saw as a conflict between the appearance of the curved window wall, the plan, and some of the photos of Rivendell that appear to indicate immovable mullions and hinged sashes, whereas the photo I referenced at the dining area appears to be without regular mullions and sashes.
It was brought to my attention offline that the article was written with no direct consultation with Mr. Virr, and that the photo to which I referred was of another solar hemicycle that Mr. Virr designed...one that has mullionless windows.

I too miss Laurie's keen eye, deep thought, and dry wit on Chat.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Me too. I deeply regret having chased Laurie away -- after having encouraged him to post here in the first place. Never trust a Scorpio . . .

There's some vintage Virr here. http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewt ... sc&start=0 In re his disdain for some of his fellow Australian practitioners, something in that thread led me to this: http://www.petermuller.org Check out the Audette house, for instance . . .

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

"Most people buy houses to keep their televisions dry" Laurie Virr

"Straight and True [teaser]" on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/71970299?ref=em-v-share

goffmachine

Post by goffmachine »

Straight and true teaser excellent! What house is it at minute 7:43???

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Virr has a site. Just enter "Laurie Virr, Architect" and it pops up. It's a slow-loading site with more text than photos or drawings.

One of his houses, a very small rotated square in plan, "was" perfection. Unfortunately a buyer hired someone else to enlarge and, essentially, ruin it.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

goffmachine

Post by goffmachine »

From the teaser trailer at minute 7:43 does anyone recognise that house and who the architect is? It looks familiar... definate wright influence. well done."Straight and True [teaser]" on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/71970299?ref=em-v-share

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not Wright, but certainly by someone familiar with the Usonian. I take it all work is found in Australia. No sound to the trailer ?

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

Really? I had sound. That's where I found the great tv quote (toward the end of the trailer).

goffmachine

Post by goffmachine »

I had sound. The inforamtion in the film is great. Very intriguing.
Its a pretty good Usonian!

peterm

Post by peterm »

What I found to be interesting is the connection between Australian and Southern Californian architecture. I could have sworn that I was looking at LA Case Study houses.