Details - John Pew Houses

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
g.dorn

Re: Details - John Pew Houses

Post by g.dorn »

SDR wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:00 am
<snip>

SDR,
thanks for enlarging the detail - much more readable.
my guess is left side is exterior, right side interior ( cause of the stepping out of the boards) .

Interesting they are calling both the interior and exterior boards "weather boards". Are they the same timber?

Do you agree this detail appears to correspond to the end living room door?

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

SDR wrote:
<snip>

Too bad the LR ceiling as built has no corresponding section drawing among the published sheets; bravo to you for your efforts.

<snip>

I was looking at a photo the the living room and noticed a discrepency - the ceiling recess appears to go to the end wall - where as on the drawings, it indicates the recess on atleast a bay inside .
its certainly behind the internal buttress
Its like they move the whole recess Eastwards - away from the fire place.

and plan - ( note oriented so North is Up)

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Do you agree this detail appears to correspond to the end living room door?" Well, it includes two glazed doors on that end of the room---which don't appear in any drawing or photo except for this new entry, a sketch plan and elevation that appears in Taschen II
---along with a pair of simple plan drawings in color.

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

SDR wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 am
<snip>

<SNIP>
I reckon that might be the original idea, which evolved. The most interesting spect is the eventual deletion of the living room south windows - which is where morning and midday sunlight would be coming from. Im not familiar with the climate in that area, but wouldn't direct morning sunlight be beneficial in winter ?

and yes the later design looks to be "freeing the corners" a bit more

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

I wondered about what time of the year this photo was taken at, to be able to get shadows on the north walls and thus sun on the deck.

looks like about 4 pm in August 21st - using the trellis shadow as the guide - for about 2 hrs 3- 5 pm

further playing with the heliodon shows the deck getting sun in later afternoon during June as well - but with the thick foliage, I imagine that its always in shade during that time of the year, which means only autumn and winter - when the decidious trees have lost their leaves ( as per the photo).

spring + summer foliage

Tom

Post by Tom »

GDorn and SDR - much appreciate you two here.

First regarding living room section and forces of cantilever. I agree that the forces of the main span and the cantilever interact by design. However, I think you are saying that the clockwise rotation of the cantilever supports ( or helps support the main span). That's what I would bet against. I'd say the main span is supported by the vertical posts of the window wall and RESISTS the clockwise rotation of the cantilever - couldn't have that cantilever without the main span. My two cents anyway.

Roof Framing of top floor: I know your drawings are preliminary, but I'd say the "eyebrows" at the corners and the small north trellis must be framed back.
I'd wager there is almost no steel in that roof at all.
The side pieces of the "eyebrows" are probably continuous through the perimeter banding and secured at least half of their cantilvered length back into the framing - same with trellis. What do you think?
Last edited by Tom on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The direction of the interior stairways is worthy of note. The stair most convenient to the entrance goes to the cellar, not to the second floor. Unless something in that basement space would prevent it, the more logical direction of the stairs would seem to be the opposite of what was drawn. At the second floor, reversing the stair would bring the climber directly to the central bedroom hall---rather than to a useless and circuitous trip around the chimney to arrive at the same destination.

Could the scheme as drawn amount to a justification of that "wasted space" at the downslope corner of the second level ? If reversed, that nearly windowless corner of the floor could have become valuable storage room---a unique attic, in a two-floor Usonian.

On page 2 of the thread is a perspective view of the house with a third-floor aerie. The chimney seems to have been moved northeast as a part of this modification . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Compare W A Storrer's plan to the one published in "The Natural House" shown above: Storrer removes trees, contour lines, driveway indication and Wright's caption, rearranges the placement of the two plans, and crucially provides a north arrow and the house unit of 4' x 4'. Storrer's stair arrows atypically point down, not up.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Interesting point about stair direction and the implications.
Yep - storage would in fact be gained.
You would eliminate the labyrinth like path to upstairs as well
as the sense of the stairs "cascading" down into the main floor.
You shouldn't own anything anyway that Wright would not have approved of!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Perhaps Mr Wright's noted preference for circuitous "paths of discovery" survived into his late career. The stair near the entry is hidden behind a door; the visitor seeking the way upstairs must travel to the far side of the chimney mass---by one route or the other.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep - good point.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Sam Freeman called it "extravagant usage of space."

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

g.dorn wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:20 am
SDR wrote:
<snip>

Too bad the LR ceiling as built has no corresponding section drawing among the published sheets; bravo to you for your efforts.

<snip>

I was looking at a photo the the living room and noticed a discrepency - the ceiling recess appears to go to the end wall - where as on the drawings, it indicates the recess on atleast a bay inside .
its certainly behind the internal buttress
Its like they move the whole recess Eastwards - away from the fire place.

and plan - ( note oriented so North is Up)
YES..!!! beautiful... I really love the stonework of this house, not very rustic like others.

SDR

Post by SDR »

More precisely, if Storrer's arrow is correctly place, NNW is up.

Not very rustic ? The usual random coursing and projecting stones are present; only the mix of thin and thick stones, as at Fallingwater, is missing---as I see it. The combination of this ageless masonry with weathered boards, as seen in many photos of the house, is especially affecting.

In this detail from a Yukio Futagawa photo, much of the warm-colored stonework is hidden by foreground foliage---but the effect is still present.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Interesting changes from the loose elevation/plan initial design sketch and the final plan.
The eliimination of the windows on the back wall of the living room seems to be compensated for by
the opening up of the dining room corner of the house - the fireplace in the initial sketch really closes things off.